Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Apple Dessert and A January Challenge



I had some apples that had gone a little soft and wrinkly. They were still good, no brown spots or anything, they just weren't going to be pleasant to eat raw. I had some bread dough in the freezer that I had purchased to make cinnamon rolls for Christmas, but we made Monkey Bread instead. Not one to waste food I decided to make an apple, raisin and walnut rolled bread.  But I made too much filling so I made a "rustic" apple dessert instead.   I think that if I had made it with pie crust it would be called a galette. Since it was made with bread dough I don't know what you would call it.


There was no recipe. If you are a regular reader you know that hubby and I have been obsessed with watching The Great British Baking Show.  So, I just pretended that I was a British baker who was challenged to make a dessert with bread dough. Of course, on the show they would have made their own dough... but no matter, I was just using what I had on hand.


I chopped up four apples (one Gala, one Granny Smith and two Macintosh), measured out a handful of raisins, a half handful of chopped walnuts, a sprinkle of nutmeg and ginger and big sprinkle of cinnamon. Hubby says you can never have too much cinnamon.


I rolled out the bread dough and smeared it with Ghee, dumped the filling in the middle ad spread it around, folded up the sides, baked it for thirty minutes in a 350 degree oven and viola... afternoon snack with a cup of coffee.


This all came about partly because Mavis Butterfield over at One Hundred Dollars a Mont h issued a challenge to avoid the grocery store for the month of January. Use what's in your freezer and pantry... I climbed on board to the challenge. You can make your own rules... for instance, I'm not using milk that's been in my refrigerator for a month so if we run out and we need it, I have given myself permission to pick up some milk.  We are very fortunate to have a pretty well stocked pantry and freezer so I think we can survive quite nicely for the month using the food that we already have. How about you?  Could you eat well from your pantry and freezer for a month?

Thanks for dropping by...

Post a Comment

0 Comments