Cicely Mary Barker (1895-1973) produced 168 flower faires illustrations between 1923 and 1948. Her sister ran a kindergarten and Mary would borrow her students for models. Her books were also published by Blackie and Son Ltd the same publisher as Beatrix Potter.
Below is one of her poems:-
Guelder Rose
There are two little trees:
In the garden there growsThe one with the snowballs;
All children love those!
The other small tree
Not everyone knows,
With her blossoms spread flat-
Yet they're both Guelder Rose!
But the garden Guelder has nothing
When her beautiful balls are shed:
While in Autumn her wild little sister
Bears berries of ruby red!
(Cicely Mary Barker)
| We only have the flat guelder rose in our garden |
I always feel sorry for plants in the shops that are reduced, and I am always drawn over to look to see if there are any I can revive and of course find a bargain! ( I'm afraid my de-cluttering and more minimalist living hasn't reached the garden yet!) This clematis was reduced to £1.99 last week, it looked very sad and bedraggled and now look at it .....
| Almost the last of the tulips. |
| All the rain has made the garden look so green and lush. |
I hope the sun comes out soon, there are so many jobs to do in the garden at this time of year!
Welcome and hello to my new follower Carolyn thank you for joining me.
Sarah x

0 Comments